About


IMG_0548

Welcome to Glengarry Primary School

‘Partners in success’
At Glengarry Primary School we believe that all children can learn, make progress and become independent learners who can face the challenges of the future. We foster a growth mindset in all members of the school community and develop resilient, resourceful and reflective learners who work and play together. We believe that every member of the school community is a leader and as such, provide genuine leadership and skill development opportunities.

Our school has a strong sense of community and highly value building positive relationships with children and their families. Our highly skilled and enthusiastic staff provides an engaging learning program for all students. The shared ownership and responsibility for outstanding learning is the result of regular whole school and team planning. Staff are conscious of any barriers to learning and strive to address these through open discussions with families and the utilization of outside support services. We provide a safe and welcoming environment in which communication and collaboration is valued to ensure outstanding learning for all children.

Both children and staff reflect on their individual progress through regular self-assessment and constructive feedback from children and adults in the school community. A whole school commitment to the use of ongoing feedback, within a safe and supportive environment, ensures optimum progress and the ability to plan what to do next.

At Glengarry Primary School we ensure all students leave us as lifelong independent learners by encouraging them to believe that everyone can learn and grow.

History

The first petition for a school in the township for Glengarry was sent to the Education Department on September 27th 1887, with Mr. C. J. Williams acting as secretary for the petitioners. The petition was strongly supported by District Inspector Mr. Hepburn, who advised that S. S. 1235 Glengarry should be moved to a site owned by a Mr. Duke, who was willing to sell one acre for a school site. This site was on the north west corner of Allotment 141 B, Parish of Toongabbie South, County of Tanjil. The acre cost thirty pounds.

 

Names of the first petitioners were:
George Horven, C. J. Williams 2, Thomas Miles 3, John Balfour 1, James Considine 2, Charles
Taylor 5, Hector MacNeil 3, John Kyne 7, John
Farier 1, Thomas Pratt 6, James Brooke 3, Stephen Hambrook 4, John Bermingharn 4, David Fisk 1,
William McDonnell 1. The address given in each case was Glengarry.

The proposal to move S.S. 1235 to the new site aroused intense opposition and was not carried out. On 6.3.1889 a further petition from C. J. Williams, John Kyne, John Considine, John Bermingham, John Farier, and James Brook, asked that a new school building and residence be built on the site already selected, as the Mechanics Institute was proving too small for the average attendance of children. At this stage the Head Teacher was living in the residence of S. S. 1235.

 

State School No. 2888 was opened on 23.7.1888 with Elizabeth Cheyne as Head Teacher. She remained for five months and was followed by Mr. Alfred W. Crowe. The school opened in the Mechanics Institute, secured at a rental of ten shillings per week.

By the 3rd June 1889 the transfer of Duke’s acre of land had been completed, and on the 21st day of June 1889 a contract for the erection of a wooden school 36′ x 20′ and a detached residence of 4 rooms had been let and the leased building was vacated on the 31.10.1889. The head teacher at the changeover was Mr. Alfred Crowe he actually being the first head teacher of No. 2888 Glengarry. The rent for the residence was fifteen pounds per year. In April 1891 a twelve inch School Bell was bought for six pounds nineteen shillings and one penny. Mr. William Sutton found this bell buried in the wood shed, and had the School Committee mount it on a small steel tower in 1964, this bell is still used today as the fire drill emergency bell.

 

The new school building across the road from the present school building must have been low lying, since there was constant dampness trouble, aggravated by the drainage works of the school’s neighbour, John Kyne. The eventual solution of this trouble was the shifting of the school to its present site, to allotment 140 Parish of Toongabbie South, County of Tanjil. Toongabbie West School No. 2884 was shifted also at this time using Jack Dwyers bullock team and abutted on to the school building, thus making it a two roomed unit. An additional room was also added to the school residence at about this time.

Former Principals:
1888 Elizabeth Cheyne
1889-93 Alfred William Crowe
1893-94 Mrs. Anelgina Thomson
1894-1917 James Thomson
1917-20 John E. Chenhall
1920-22 George J. Quick
1922-31 James R. George
1931-33 David A. Dorrity
1933-37 William A. Watson
1937-41 Victor J. Barlow
1941-42 Sydney H. Wickens
1942-45 Arthur D. Ward
1945-50 Reuben H. Bennett
1951-55 Alfred Haley
1955-57 Stanley Annear
1958 George Valentine
1958-60 Edwin G. Prince.
1961 Valerie J. Sinclair
1961 Ronald Winzer
1962 Kenneth L. Rogers.
1963 David W. Pollock
1964-71 William Charles Sutton
1972-73 Colin G. Crampton
1974-77 Douglas E. Lynch
1978 Jennifer L Graham
1979 Darell Blewett
1980 Jennifer Graham
1980-82 Carole J. Dennison
1983-87 Peter J. Dennison.
1988-1993 Peter Walkley.
1994 Rodney Twining
1995-2002 Elaine Bailey
2003 Pauline Jelleff

From the first two pages of the register, we can calculate that the gross enrolment of the school in its first year 1888 was 63, of whom 61 enrolled in the first month of the school’s existence, July 1888.

 

They were:
Annie and John Bermingham, Lily Brooks, Christina and Mary Bryde, Thomas, Maggie, Katie and James Considine, Mary Drane, William Farier, George Fisk, Beatrice Coghlan, Robert Enright, James, Frances, Maurice and John Hambrook, Annie Hazel, Maggie, Mary and Willie Irwin, Ada, Jessie, Annie and HectorNeNeil, Annie, George, Elizabeth, Stewart and William, King, Owen, John, Prances, Edward, Ellen and Rose Kyne, Lily, Clara, Thomas, Nellie and Edward Taylor.

 

The school enrolment has fluctuated. In 1929 there were about 29 pupils attending the school. After the Second World War the school population began to show a marked increase, and by the early 50’s there were some 90 pupils attending. In the early 60’s the school population had increased to 115, in 1964 enrolment was 90 in Grades 1 – 6, and the staffing was a Class 2 Principal, and 3 assistants. The school has grown steadily since.